Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Random thoughts on the day after...

The excitement was palpable. Considering the forum, a little too palpable if you ask me. Along the many routes of campus, teachers and students alike gleamed unabashed smiles everywhere they went. News of Obama's victory had been heard and overwhelmingly accepted. In class, teachers and students alike freely shared their optimistic visions for the future. However, mere victory wasn't enough for some. One teacher couldn't resist taking a few last parting shots at the Bush administration. One teacher and a few of her students were still displeased with the undecided results on proposition 8. Some students blamed the close vote on the influence of Utahns and the LDS church. Most classmates agreed. How could they not? We all know California voters are incapable of reasoning for themselves, right?

A classmate and I tried to exonerate our fellow Utahns and the LDS church. After all, this was a California proposition was it not? Our opinions were scoffed at; ignored. It was the first time I felt myself a minority. Do I get a scholarship now?

The Democrats won last night. As they say, "a new sheriff is in town." Change is supposedly on the way. However scary that may be to some, it's good to know good ole' fashined political bias among our educators isn't going anywhere, right?

4 comments:

Andreason said...

It is sad to feel like a minority, when there are so many of us around who feel the same way. I am sure there was others who felt the same way, but didn't say anything. I love how you were willing to stand up for what you thought/think is right. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Most respectable Matt, the world is just plain kooky now so don't blame yourself for feeling a bit outnumbered. When you have 34% of the most conservative state in the union voting for a "spread the wealth" mentality, you have to wonder if anyone has even reads the constitution anymore. As for the hard feelings over Prop 8, the victory will not be long lived but I will take it for as long as it lasts.

Bruce F Andreason said...

Sounds like the same experience that so many had that day. I went into work late that morning and watched a good portion of the coverage before I left. All anyone wanted to talk about was about the racial implications of this "historic" election. Were we finally equal? No we are not said the minority commentators brought to NBC to discuss the question. The Dr. King "I have a dream" speech was played a couple of times. I'll quote him: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Seems a little contradictory to the coverage I watched throughout this "historic" election and afterward.

BasicGuy said...

And to think you get to do "group work" with some of those guys. You're so lucky. Thanks for "standing" though. We live in a time when too many choose to "sit."